Gallery attendants monitor the World Chess Hall of Fame’s galleries, ensuring the safety of artwork and artifacts, staff members, and visitors. Additionally, gallery attendants are responsible for promoting positive visitor experiences by providing assistance and interacting with visitors in a polite and friendly manner. Gallery attendants also assist with preparation for events and exhibitions under the supervision of approved staff. They complete daily housekeeping tasks including stocking brochures, tidying galleries, and dusting vitrines. This is a part-time position. Hours may vary depending on the exhibition schedule at the WCHOF.
Monitor the safety of artifacts in galleries. Ensure that visitors adhere to museum policies.
Promote the World Chess Hall of Fame by providing engaging and meaningful visitor interactions.
Communicate with visitors and staff in a polite and professional manner. Greet every visitor upon arrival in a gallery.
Complete opening and closing procedures.
Maintain the cleanliness of galleries and ensure that all brochures are fully-stocked.
Inspect artwork and artifacts on a daily basis for loss or damage.
Become knowledgeable about the WCHOF, as well as its current and upcoming exhibitions. Attend mandatory training sessions for exhibitions.
Assist in preparation and closing of events.
Assist in installation and deinstallation of exhibitions.
Use discretion to determine when a supervisor should be contacted to address visitor issues.
Assist other staff with projects as needed.
Friendly personality and ability to speak with visitors in a professional manner
Punctuality and reliability
Ability to work weekends and evening hours
Ability to stand in galleries while monitoring visitors
Interest in chess, art, or history preferred, but not required
Qualified applicants should email a resume, a cover letter, and three references to Shannon Bailey at firstname.lastname@example.org
Do you like to stay busy? Enjoy working with friendly visitors in a fun environment? Then you may be a great fit at Q Boutique (at the World Chess Hall of Fame)!
Associate will be responsible for the following (but not limited to)…
- Provide excellent customer service; greet customers in an outgoing and professional manner.
- Drive sales by engaging guests on the sales floor, answering questions, offering suggestions, etc.
- Remain current on all available merchandise and research product information.
- Accurate operation of the p.o.s. system, including data entry, cash handling, and drawer reconciliation.
- Perform general cleaning, dusting, and upkeep as needed; organize and merchandise product.
- Process merchandise—assist with receiving, tracking, and pricing product.
- Execute proper opening and closing procedures for the store—responsible for banking and deposits.
- Maintain daily logs—daily sales, store traffic, guest feedback, and customer follow-up.
- Update social media as requested.
- Provide shift coverage as a gallery attendant as needed.
- Typical shifts: Wed 9:30a-5:30p, Thu & Fri 1:00-9:30p, Sat 9:30-5:30p, Sun 12-5:30p.
- Previous experience in retail and/or sales preferred.
- Ability to merchandise product in a creative, aesthetically-pleasing manner.
- Superior work ethic—demonstrating a high level of ownership, accountability, and initiative.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and be able to multi-task efficiently.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Computer literacy—keyboarding skills required and familiarity with Microsoft Excel preferred.
- Ability to adapt to last-minute changes.
- Be comfortable working as part of a team, as well as individually.
- Punctuality—report to work on time.
- Be able to stand and work comfortably on your feet for several hours at a time.
This position is a maximum of 30 hours per week, subject to change. Familiarity with chess and/or art is a plus, but not required. Applicant must be at least 21 years of age.
Qualified applicants should submit the following to Brian Flowers at email@example.com
1. Cover letter
3. At least three professional references
*Documents should be in Word or PDF format, as an attachment. Please do not embed. Resumes with illegible formatting errors will not be accepted.
No phone calls, please.
Our open hours are as follows (subject to change):
The Chess Campus admits students and employees of any race, color, national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to students or employees at the campus. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, scholarship and loan programs, and athletic and other school-administered programs.