Initial review of applications will begin immediately and continue until a suitable candidate is identified.
Updated January 20, 2015
The World Chess Hall of Fame is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to sex, race, age, disability, religion, national origin, color, or any other protected class.
Do you like to stay busy? Enjoy working with friendly visitors in a fun environment? Then you may be a great fit at Q Boutique (at the World Chess Hall of Fame)!
Associate will be responsible for the following (but not limited to)…
- Provide excellent customer service; greet customers in an outgoing and professional manner.
- Drive sales by engaging guests on the sales floor, answering questions, offering suggestions, etc.
- Remain current on all available merchandise and research product information.
- Accurate operation of the p.o.s. system, including data entry, cash handling, and drawer reconciliation.
- Perform general cleaning, dusting, and upkeep as needed; organize and merchandise product.
- Process merchandise—assist with receiving, tracking, and pricing product.
- Execute proper opening and closing procedures for the store—responsible for banking and deposits.
- Maintain daily logs—daily sales, store traffic, guest feedback, and customer follow-up.
- Update social media as requested.
- Provide shift coverage as a gallery attendant as needed.
- Typical shifts: Wed 9:30a-5:30p, Thu & Fri 1:00-9:30p, Sat 9:30-5:30p, Sun 12-5:30p.
- Previous experience in retail and/or sales preferred.
- Ability to merchandise product in a creative, aesthetically-pleasing manner.
- Superior work ethic—demonstrating a high level of ownership, accountability, and initiative.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and be able to multi-task efficiently.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Computer literacy—keyboarding skills required and familiarity with Microsoft Excel preferred.
- Ability to adapt to last-minute changes.
- Be comfortable working as part of a team, as well as individually.
- Punctuality—report to work on time.
- Be able to stand and work comfortably on your feet for several hours at a time.
This position is a maximum of 30 hours per week, subject to change. Familiarity with chess and/or art is a plus, but not required. Applicant must be at least 21 years of age.
Qualified applicants should submit the following to Brian Flowers at firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Cover letter
3. At least three professional references
*Documents should be in Word or PDF format, as an attachment. Please do not embed. Resumes with illegible formatting errors will not be accepted.
No phone calls, please.
The Chess Club and Scholastic Center of Saint Louis (CCSCSL) is an educational non-profit located in the Central West End. The mission of the CCSCSL is to maintain a formal program of instruction to teach the game of chess and to promote and support its educational program through community outreach and local and national partnerships to increase the awareness of the educational value of chess.
With a campus spanning three buildings and hundreds of classes in area schools each week, the CCSCSL provides members and guests with opportunities to learn, play and enjoy the game of chess. The CCSCSL hosts major national and international events, provides weekly classes, lectures, tournaments and other events designed to increase the popularity of the game 7 days per week.
The CCSCSL is seeking a motivated individual to maintain existing IT systems, perform regular maintenance and updates, and support our users’ IT needs. The ideal candidate will have experience in a broad range of technologies, including servers, networking, telephone systems, audio visual systems, and much more.
Reporting Relationship: Reports to Executive Director
Infrastructure Administration (50-60%)
web server administration (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP)
network administration (Cisco, HP)
infrastructure server administration (Microsoft Windows, Active Directory)
Desktop & User Support (15-20%)
Heterogeneous environment including Windows and Apple desktops and laptops, printers, and other connected devices
Point of Sale maintenance & support
Projects vary in scope and duration and include infrastructure updates and specialized IT needs for major events
Web Development (5-10%)
From time to time, it may be necessary to write or modify source code to integrate various technologies (PHP, HTML, CSS, SQL)
Other duties as assigned (5-10%)
Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent experience
2-5 years administering and developing in a LAMP environment (HTML, CSS, PHP, MySQL)
2-5 years experience implementing and administering Content Management Systems
1-2 years experience administering and supporting workstations
Strong communication skills, with the ability to identify and solve problems quickly and without direct supervision
Some audio visual experience a plus
Some network administration experience a plus
Experience administering audio visual systems
Experience with Drupal Content Management System
VOIP & TDM phone administration (Asterisk, NEC)
This is a full-time position at an exciting organization. The ideal candidate will own this position and have the ability to rapidly effect changes that positively impact the company. Compensation is commensurate with experience and includes a generous benefits package. Training is also available. This is not contract work; please apply only if you are interested in a full-time position with the CCSCSL.
Qualified applicants should submit cover letter and resume to Tony Rich at email@example.com
Gallery attendants monitor the World Chess Hall of Fame’s galleries, ensuring the safety of artwork and artifacts, staff members, and visitors. Additionally, gallery attendants are responsible for promoting positive visitor experiences by providing assistance and interacting with visitors in a polite and friendly manner. Gallery attendants also assist with preparation for events and exhibitions under the supervision of approved staff. They complete daily housekeeping tasks including stocking brochures, tidying galleries, and dusting vitrines. This is a part-time position. Hours may vary depending on the exhibition schedule at the WCHOF.
Monitor the safety of artifacts in galleries. Ensure that visitors adhere to museum policies.
Promote the World Chess Hall of Fame by providing engaging and meaningful visitor interactions.
Communicate with visitors and staff in a polite and professional manner. Greet every visitor upon arrival in a gallery.
Complete opening and closing procedures.
Maintain the cleanliness of galleries and ensure that all brochures are fully-stocked.
Inspect artwork and artifacts on a daily basis for loss or damage.
Become knowledgeable about the WCHOF, as well as its current and upcoming exhibitions. Attend mandatory training sessions for exhibitions.
Assist in preparation and closing of events.
Assist in installation and deinstallation of exhibitions.
Use discretion to determine when a supervisor should be contacted to address visitor issues.
Assist other staff with projects as needed.
Friendly personality and ability to speak with visitors in a professional manner
Punctuality and reliability
Ability to work weekends and evening hours
Ability to stand in galleries while monitoring visitors
Interest in chess, art, or history preferred, but not required
Qualified applicants should email a resume, a cover letter, and three references to Shannon Bailey at firstname.lastname@example.org
Our open hours are as follows (subject to change):
Monday (Q Only): 10:00am-5:00pm.